Sunday, January 22

Pentax Optio WP Camera - Update on Problems

Back in May last year I posted that I bought the Pentax Optio WP digital camera. The camera is pretty cool for the price given the functionality you get, but the software in the actual camera is crap. The camera freezes up on me all the time meaning you have to pop out the battery to restart it. I also had some problems connecting it to my PC since it isn't always recognized as a device and sometimes the connection freezes once it is recognized.

I just had to send it back for a warranty repair since it will no longer boot up. It looks like it is starting up, shows the welcome screen, then promptly dies. I gave it a slight knock before this started when I dropped it a very short distance, but nothing that should have messed it up.

The other thing that many others have mentioned is the fact that the lens is hard to clear of steam and water droplets when you carry it in your PFD. I haven't found a good way to get around this yet, and I'm sure other similar cameras have the same problem.

I'll let you know if there's any improvement when the camera comes back. Would I change my buy recommendation? Probably not - but just be warned that it has some limitations. The new model might be better.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger El Remaro said...

I bought a Pentax Optio WP in the fall of 2004. I have not had any problems with it that I have not had with other digital cameras. I have never tried to plug the camera into my computer nor have I tried to use the software that comes with the camera. I have a SanDisk ImageMate 8 in one card reader. I take the storage media out of the camera and move the files from the media to my hard disk using Windows Explorer.

The problem with water drops and fog on the lens is the same with every camera I have used on the water. I cut a 6 by 14 centimeter strip out of a chamois cloth. I cut two slits about 2 to 3 centimeters from one end and thread the camera strap through them. I then use this chamois to wipe the lens. I think it helps to keep the lens as warm as possible by keeping it close to my body. It will still have water or fog on the lens, so I blow the larger drops off the lens. If it is a sunny day I then point the lens at the sun until the fog evaporates. If it looks like the fog will not evaporate, I simply squeeze the water out of the chamois and wipe the lens. I sometimes warm the lens first with my tongue. I have considered using Rain X or Cat Crap on the lens, but as yet have not been willing to risk an unsatisfactory result.

A problem I have had with all digital cameras is the delay between pressing the shutter release button, and the time the camera actually takes the picture. This problem seems to be a bit worse with the Pentax Optio WP than with some other digital cameras I have used. I believe that the picture is taken when the button is released, not when it is pressed. However, I am having trouble training myself to think that way after taking pictures with film cameras for 50 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home